The campus plan strategically sited seven new buildings — administration, library expansion, faculty offices, research institute, student lounge, convocation center, and physical plant – in order to create two new courtyards and the central academic yard. The new buildings reinforce the mission style architecture of the 1920’s campus. The landmark building is the convocation center whose facade is modeled after the feathered serpent of the Aztecs, Quetzalcoatl.
The campus’ main entry coincides with East 7th Street while the cross axis aligns with Mary Avenue. This intersection is celebrated with a 150-foot tall telecommunications tower.