Prior to the formation of M+C, the founding principals worked for MCM (1989-99), and individual practices; in particular, Martinez & Wong (1979-1989); and Cutri Architects (1987-89) formerly Winn & Cutri Architects (1985-87). Joseph Martinez practiced in San Diego since completing his graduate schooling at Harvard University. Anthony Cutri practiced in Berkeley, New York City and San Diego since completing his graduate schooling at UC Berkeley.
Joseph Martinez and Anthony Cutri have received national recognition for projects that they designed. Some of these projects are:
- Prospect Point, La Jolla
- The Career Center at UCSD, La Jolla
- Hyatt Regency Hotel Expansion, San Diego
- Chula Vista Nature Interpretive Center
- Chavez Elementary School
- City Heights Urban Village
- DOMA Lofts and Townhomes
The principals also received numerous architectural awards over the years for their projects, including:
- Progressive Architecture Award
- Orchid Award, San Diego
- Chula Vista Beautification Awards
- Awards from the American Institute of Architects
- Awards from the American Planning Association
Since 2005, M+C has been the recipient of nineteen prizes in design competitions, including ten First Awards.